How to soothe your colicky baby
As a parent, there is nothing more heart-wrenching then hearing your perfectly healthy baby crying nonstop, and you may feel absolutely helpless at times. Usually, this inconsolable crying of a baby is caused by a condition known as colic.
What is colic?
The exact cause of colic is unknown, but it is believed to be caused by things such as: digestive pain, gas, bloating, and hormones. Colic tends to develop in the first few weeks of a baby’s life but is not life-threatening, and tends to go away by itself within 3 to 4 months. But having your baby screaming and crying for 3 to 4 months is too much to bear for a loving parent. A baby is diagnosed as colicky if all other causes of crying are ruled out, he or she cries more than three hours a day, more than three times a week, usually in the evening. They may also appear uncomfortable or in pain, and tend to lift their heads, draw their legs up to their tummies, and pass gas. However, there may be some things you can do to help soothe your colicky baby.
How to soothe baby’s colic
- Provide warmth: Place a warm washcloth on your baby’s tummy or give a warm bath.
- The "colic carry." Place your baby on your forearm, make sure their tummy rests on your arm and that you are supporting their head in the palm of your hand or the crook of your arm.
- Swaddle your baby: baby’s react well to being swaddled, so swaddle up and start rocking your baby.
- Play white noise: a single sound can calm your baby, such as a recording of rain.
- Reduce stimulation: lower the lights, reduce noise and speak or sing softly to your baby
- Give baby a massage: place your baby tummy-down across your legs and gently massage their back to get rid of built-up gas.
- Take your baby for a drive: the vibrations from the drive will calm your baby and may even lull them to sleep. Another alternative to this is lacing your baby securely into a baby seat on top of the clothes dryer (remember to keep your hands on the seat).
- Hold your baby firmly and bounce gently from foot to foot on your mattress
- Put simple black and white drawings or graphics of a face in front of your baby. Babies are intrigued by face shapes and contrasts
- Colic gel: the Baby Colic gel has been formulated to relieve the symptoms of colic. With ingredients such as Roman Chamomile, Lavendula Officinalis, Rose Damascene, Purified Water and tea, our Colic gel has a soothing effect that will relieve your baby’s pain. Try it for yourself to see the proof.
Natural, organic, and 100% free of additives, the Yoxa Health Baby Colic Gel is the answer to soothing the symptoms of your baby’s colic.